Saturday, June 16, 2007

Belgian Beer no.144: Abbaye de Forest

I kept being asked about this (very!) new beer on the market the Abbaye de Forest. I'm not kidding when I am saying new beer, as it has just been launched and we went then and there to taste it.

The beer is brewed by the Brasserie de Silly but it is attributed to the Abbaye de Forest. (A nice place to visit btw.)

First impressions? Well I'm not lying if I tell you it just knocked me out. Two sips and I was gone. Might have been the heat of the day, but I was way gone. Before even finishing the beer.

Funny enough the beer is not that strong by Belgian standard, 6.5%, but it hit right in the middle of my head. The website describes the beer as triple style top fermentation beer, fermented again in the bottle. The closest I came to compare it to is a Leffe (same strength) but somehow a lot stronger.

Abbaye de Forest, welcome to the beer scene. A very nice beer.

Please note the new url www.belgian-beers.eu

Add to <span class=

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the write up on this one Andreea - can't wait to try one.
Any idea when it will become commercially available and in what outlets ?
Jeze - do you realise how hard these comment word verifications are when you've had a bottle or three ? hic :)

Andreea said...

no idea about the commercial part. let me know if you want me to send you a couple ...
and thanks for letting me know i still had word verification on. had no idea! changed it now.

Anonymous said...

I have to try it!!!!!!!i loveeeeeeeeeeee beer!
ciao

Anonymous said...

i'm so jealous! love the glass. Keep writing about all these great beers please.

Anonymous said...

ALL INFORMATION ABOUT BEERS
http://www.bestofbeers.org/

Anonymous said...

Finally got my hands on a few bottles of the Abbaye de Forest at a little farmhouse close to Poperinge - "Noel Cuvelier's Beershop" - well worth a visit for anyone travelling back to the UK via Dunkirk or Calais - it's an Aladdin's cave of Belgian beer.

I wouldn't say Abbaye de Forest was too similar to Leffe, but it is certainly refreshingly light for a Triple. There's a hint of fruit in there somewhere, (juniper ??), with a mild hoppy aftertaste.

A great find Andreea. Just need a glass now :)