Thursday, November 01, 2007

Beer Bar in Brussels - Poechenellekelder


Try saying this after a few beers :)

(Thank you to Keith, a reader of this blog for reminding me to write about this bar.)
Anyway, beside the unpronounceable name this is a great beer bar in Brussels. Although on a very touristic path (literally opposite the Mannekin Pis) this bar is a great stop. The beer list is extensive, the bartenders are more than enthusiastic about Belgian beers and the specials never disappoint.
We always include the Poechenellekelder on our 'visitors' must see tour but occasionally stop there off-visit, for a drink as well. They also serve some food and word of wisdom: if you do order the cheese, understand they actually refer to a whole chunk of cheese as sold in supermarkets / shops. So if inclined combine a cheese platter with a meat one. Trust me! I am a devoted cheese lover and yet, I always think they serve too much cheese ...

Poechenellekelder: Rue du Chene 5, 1000 Brussels, Tel: +32/2/511 92 62

6 comments:

Meg said...

This place is incredible, and just the memory of it makes me miss my time in Brussels!

Daniel said...

barul meu favorit...aici am baut cea mai buna bere de Craciun, aici am baut cea mai buna bere vara...e un loc extraordinar.dupa fix 1 an, unul din chelneri m-a recunoscut si toata seara am baut numai ce mi-a recomandat el.turistii?daca vrei sa-i eviti si sa nu stai pe terasa, intrii si stai la masa in dreptul placutelor cu numele cine-stie carui prieten al barului...foarte boem.

Brian D said...

have to say, when i went here last year, it left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. i guess i should have made a reservation. as it was, i hadn't, found empty tables wityh "reserved" signs on them, asked about the prospects of a table opening up if i waited, and was met with a very cold shoulder and a dose of attitude. thus deflated, i stalked off with my wife (we were on our honeymoon) and, as fate would have it, soon stumbled on one of my fall-back choices, toone! if you don't know toone (part-puppet theater, part-estaminet), you should...

but, all in all, i much prefer the vibe of bruges drinking establishments ('t brugs bertje being #1, for sure)...

Anonymous said...

I discovered this bar when I fled to Brussels to get as far away from my ex girlfriend as possible after she dumped me. I love this bar and I've been back many times, the last time was in 2000 between christmas and New year with my wife on honeymoon, I'd avoid the Kip Kap on the menu, but still a great bar (with many surprises).

Anonymous said...

We came there with friends.
First, they did not want to change a fly in the beer. A waiter came and told us that they didnt command a fly for us in the beer.
Then they opened on purpose the door from their basement, that we kindly asked to close. As the basement stinks.
We commanded a paste and the color just "was perfect".
Culmination:they asked us to change our seat at 00.00 (in the middle of our conversation) as we were explained that at that time if the night they had a reservation for 30 people,and we need to go upstairs,and only after that they would bring us more drinks if we command.
finally:we decided to leave, as the bar was empty upstairs, and this "30 people reserved"...just didnt arrive at all. WAITERS ARE VERY RUDE!

Brewery Tour Austin said...

This is a great exciting Article. I always have a preference to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. I am glad to find your extraordinary way of writing the post.