Friday, March 24, 2006

Belgian Beer no.38: Sint Bernardus Abt 12

When I said that discovering a new beer is always linked with a Pandora like effect, of discovering another extra 5, I was not joking. At the moment it does seem as if I am in an endless exercise of never-ending beer trying.
Sint Bernardus was such a discovery. In the heat of the evening, I went directly for a St. Bernardus Abt 12 (needles to say it almost tasted like wine, and so good). However it seems that in the village of Watou, the brewery is also producing the St. Bernardus Prior 8 and Pater 6, the Tripel (8%), the Watou Tripel (7.5%), the Witbier (5.5%), and the Grottenbier (6.5%).
What I found interesting about this beer is that till quite recently it was considered to be a Trappist Beer, losing its qualification in 1992 due to the fact that Trappist Beers can only be produced within the walls of a Trappist Monastery.
No recipe.
Tagged with:

No comments: