Thursday, December 15, 2005

Belgian Beer no.11: Saint Monon, honey!

Probably not the first time I mention I like honey beer. Therefore my quest to discover them all one by one. This is how I came across a honey beer I never heard of, the Saint Monon miel.

Brewed at the Saint Monon Brewery, this beer has again a very high alcohol content (8%) – and for my taste not too much honey flavor. I will get to the stage where I am going to just add honey to a blonde … sin, sin, sin.

To get back to the Saint Monon though, I liked it. A nice, clear beer which I enjoyed and will most likely buy again.

Carrot soup with cumin (serves 4)

600gr carrots
1 onion
2 tsp cumin seeds
I knob of butter, 1 drop olive oil
50cl Saint Monon (or any other strong honey beer)
25cl water
1l stock
Salt and pepper
Goats cheese

Heat the butter and olive oil in a pan, add the onion and cumin seeds. Add a little honey beer and let it simmer, till caramelized. Add water and stock, honey beer (save 1dl), the finely chopped carrots. Let the mixture cook on low heat for 5-8min.
Blend the soup, add the remaining beer, salt and pepper (if necessary).
Serve hot with a slice of goats cheese on top of the soup and full grain bread.

No comments: